From:
"Thomas, Janet (DIA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 13:42:00 AST

Hi everyone.  This is my first communication.  I'm delighted with the
newsgroup and hope that I can contribute.  I'm the editor of our Celiac
chapter's newsletter so I may have some items of interest to pass on.
Our Celiac is a child, a six-year old who was diagnosed four years ago
and I am so glad to have contact with parents of other Celiac children.
Much of what I've been doing has been experimental so I'll be glad for
any tips that you might have.

RE:  Pam's question on oats.  In Canada oats are definitely forbidden,
there is no debate here on that.  That includes every derivative of oats
as well, such as oat bran which will also give you a reaction.  In Canada
we have a zero gluten position amongst Celiacs and the medical community.
NO gluten is allowed at all, so oat bran, wheat starch, etc.  is not
accepted.

RE:  Norman, I'm no expert but I've heard and read that you can
definitely have a reaction from breathing gluten-laden dust.  My six year
old had a reaction after a visit to a historic village with his class
where he did not eat anything forbidden but he did help make wheat flour
cookies.  I think that the reaction was caused by him breathing the wheat
flour dust raised by 20 cooking six-year olds.  Another problem for us
has been regular bread crumbs getting into the butter, peanut butter,
etc.  so be careful of this.  And I've heard our members talk about
problems caused by bread crumbs on kitchen countertops getting into or
onto their gluten-free food.

RE:  Glenn, I got a letter yesterday from Campbells which said that the
Italian Style Tomato Soup is definitely gluten-free.  I'm going to write
back to them because they sent me a form letter which did not answer my
question concerning exactly which ingredient in the Chicken with Rice and
Chunky Style Turkey soups is not gluten-free.  If you read the label
they've removed the offending hydrolyzed vegetable protein now, so I'm
guessing that the problem is the spices.  When I hear from Campbell's
again I'll let you know.  If you find the 1-800 number I'd like to have
it as well.

Janet Thomas
Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada