From:
Timothy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 1995 23:50:53 GMT

> Uncooked chick peas are poisonous. The dried peas must be soaked and then
> boiled for ten minutes to destroy the poison. (Same as red kidney beans).
> I wouldn't try making flour out of raw peas.

Thanks to everyone who wrote about my comments on chick peas. I think my
mail reader set up a "reply to" line so all the replies went directly to me
rather than the list, sorry. I am not sure whether chick peas in the States
are different from the UK. The packet in front of me as I write just says
"Produce of Turkey". They are packaged by Sainsbury's (a major UK food
retailer) and on the cooking instructions say
"CAUTION: Chick peas should always be boiled rapidly for at least ten
minutes, especially if added to slow cooking casseroles.
Do not eat raw peas."

Perhaps there are several varieties of chick pea. I don't know about
chick pea sprouts - the sprouted pea might alter its chemistry for
all I know - are there any biologists around?

As for red kidney beans I have heard from several sources that they
are poisonous if uncooked - if you want to use them in a salad cook
them and cool them, not just soak them. I think that they contain
oxalic acid, like rhubarb does. The beans look good mixed with white
rice (and are GF).

Bill Elkus mentioned almond skin being dangerous in quantity - is that
due to cyanide?

Many plants have evolved poisons to stop animals eating them (and the
animals have evolved too). Being natural doesn't make something safe.
I have heard from reputable sources that the 'ethnic' necklaces made
from beans can be dangerous - don't give them to a child who
chews things.

   Tim