From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 1995 14:57:53 -0400

I am a prime example that you don't grow out of celiac disease.  I had the
classic symptoms of a celiac toddler just not extreme, ie I had the vomiting
and  diarhea but not the bloating.  The doctors thought I was milk
intolerant and that I grew out of it at about 3.  Well I'm 34 now, only
suffered outwardly by frequent anemia and was diagnosed with CD almost 1
year ago.  The only reason I was tested is that my young son was diagnosed
celiac and with my history they decided I was a likely candidate, due it
it's hereditary possibilities.   All I had to do was load up on wheat
products for 1 week prior and my biopsy came back very positive.  Even
during this week of loading up I didn't seem to suffer health wise but I was
very moody.  God knows what eating gluten for 34 years has done to my system
but hopefully by carefully following the GF diet I can totally reverse the
ill-effects on my intestine.  I will agree that if the test had not come
back positive or if I had only had a blood test that was not definitely
positive I would NOT choose to follow a GF diet.

karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

p.s.  sorry to be so repetitive to all of you who have heard this story before.