From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 13:51:55 -0700

    Sarah wrote that her bread falls and the outside edges rise, (much
like what happens when someone opens an oven while a souffle is
cooking).

    This usually occurs with our batters because the top of the
breadmaker is cooler than the rest of the machine. Try fashioning a tin
foil (insulating) dome over the top of the machine during baking to
keep the heat in. Carefully remove the foil from the HOT machine at the
start of the machine's cool-down period.
    If the problem continues: As you (Sarah) reduce your recipes (or if
you make substitutions), be sure to maintain the liquids to solids
ratio that creates our typically thin, but sticky batter. A too-thin
batter is more likely to fall.
    Best of luck in your baking,
    Mary Courtney
    Los Angeles, CA.