From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:48:21 PST

Reply to query from Jim Lyles by Don Kasarda (USDA not FDA), Albany, CA.

Perhaps some background information on my qualifications to comment would
be helpful.  I am a cereal chemist who has worked primarily on wheat
proteins in relation to wheat mixing and baking quality for the past 30
years.  Through collaborations with various medical groups over the past
25 years I have become somewhat familiar with celiac disease,
particularly as it relates to grain proteins.  I have attended three of
the five major international celiac disease symposia that have been held
during the past 25 years, including the last in Dublin, Ireland, held in
1992.

My position on millet is stated in the grains letter that many of you on
the list have requested (and, I hope, received).  Evidence so far on
millet proteins (also millet taxonomy) indicates that millet proteins are
closely related to corn proteins.  If corn is accepted as a safe grain,
then millet is likely to be safe as well.  Of course, millet proteins
have not been studied as extensively as corn proteins, so if you are
extremely conservative, you may wish to avoid millet, but I am not aware
of any evidence that indicates likelihood of toxicity for millet in
celiac disease.  I would very much appreciate hearing from CSA
representatives as to why they include millet on the forbidden list.  As
for any food, millet may not agree with everyone, but I don't know of any
evidence that would link millet to celiac disease.

I think it would be desirable for celiac patients to be aware that many
restrictions have no scientific basis--that there doesn't seem to be any
scientific evidence to back them up (wheat-based distilled alcohol, for
example).  I do not say that anyone should not act on his or her own gut
(if you will pardon the expression) feelings, but in counseling others, I
think it should be made clear whether a recommendation has some
scientific basis or is mainly opinion.  Granted, opinion might some day
turn into scientific fact--then again, it might not.

Scientists are far from understanding all the complexities of celiac
disease and conditions that may or may not be related to celiac disease
(for example, allergy-like symptoms from breathing grain dust).  Also,
there is no grain for which we have complete sequence information for
every protein, including rice and corn.  I can only provide my personal
opinion based on my knowledge of the scientific literature, which is far
from perfect given the enormous amount of information accumulated there.
I do, however, make considerable effort to keep up with the literature on
both cereal grains and celiac disease.  My comments must be considered in
that light as general information and not specific medical advice to
anyone.