From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 17:24:22 -0500

>   What vitamin and/or mineral supplements do other listmembers take?

I take 100 units of Vitamin E daily. Unless one eats a lot of nuts and
seeds one is deficient in this vitamin. How can you tell? Where you
sore the day after you did a lot of physical exertion? (An example
being going skiing.) That muscle soreness is from a vitamin E
deficiency. Generally vitamin fanatics will take 400 units daily, which
sounds like a lot more than could be ingested if one ate *only* nuts
and seeds. 1000 units daily can have serious side effects.

I'd like to take calcium but am now eating spinach almost every day
(from the Pakistan take-out) and haven't done much about figuring out
which were GF.

> Is the general consensus that once
>on a GF diet that vit/min absorption returns to normal
>or is it always impaired?

If *100%* GF, everything returns to normal and supplement concerns
should be the same as for non-celiacs.

> Every nutritional book that
>I have seen mention celiac sprue makes note of impaired
>fat absorption and particularly deficiences in the fat-
>soluble vitamins (A, E, D, etc.) Why would fat-soluble
>vitamins be implicated and not water-soluble?

Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed in the small intestine - right where
the villi are/were damaged. Water-soluble are absorbed elsewhere.