From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 12:27:53 -0500

In message Tue, 24 Jan 1995 08:35:54 -0700,
  Judee DeJaco <[log in to unmask]>  writes:

> I'd like to know if anyone has any information on the possibility of
> celiac presenting itself in a child who consistently has 5-7 bowel
> movements a day since he started solids (including gluten) at 8 months.
> He is 14 months old now and continues to be at the 80 - 90 percentile for
> height and growth.  Each bowel movement is normal in size and appearance
> with occasional constipation. I'm reluctant to have blood drawn unless I
> hear of other reports that celiac is a real possibility.

Judee,
I have had similar questions about my daughter, now almost 18 months old.  I
carefully gave her only gluten-free (Beechnut, never Gerber) baby foods
until she was 12 months old.  When introduced to wheat and other glutens at
1 year, she got TERRIBLE diaper rash, which went away when she ate a gf
diet.  Her pediatrician (the only pediatric gastroenterologist in town) says
frequent loose stools and diaper rash are NOT symptoms of celiac disease in
kids this age.  He doubts I have celiac disease (I've never been confirmed
thru a biopsy) because I react to a single serving of gluten-containing
foods (which, judging by the comments on this listserv, IS a typical cd
response to eating gluten!).  I have real doubts about this MD's sensitivity
to the whole prospect of celiac disease in a child, but the other
pediatricians in town have never even heard of cd, so I feel like I'm stuck
with this guy (who is otherwise very competent).

My daughter is also at the top of the charts for height and weight (as I was
at her age).  We have compromised on the diet, since the MD felt so strongly
about giving her "regular" food.  She gets rice chex rather than cheerios,
and she eats the regular gluten-free entrees and baked goods I make for
myself, but she eats what the other kids get at daycare, and I don't worry
about her eating wheat bread or crackers when we're out or at the in-laws.
She definitely has more bowel movements when she eats gluten, but the rash
is (slowly, slowly) going away under this gluten-reduced regime.

Our pediatrician says that the blood test isn't really very accurate for
kids under age 2.  If I can persuade him to do it, I think that I would like
to get my daughter tested sometime in the future (after age 2).

I hope these comments help.
Laura Johnson-Kelly
265 McGraw Hall
Cornell University