From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 18:02:35 EST

<<Please verify before applying to your situation -- not medical
advice!>>

It is my understanding (from various reading, including information
from this list as well as other sources -- i.e. Bette Hagman's books
as well as other gf and allergy cookbooks) that buckwheat is not a
type of wheat but a member of the rhubarb family. Some people have
trouble with buckwheat but it is more of an intolerance such as some
people have to corn or soy (which are permissible on our diet).  I
have tried buckwheat and did not have any trouble but did not care for
the form that I ate (cream of buckwheat -- yuck!).  I am going to try
making kasha varnishkes with some gf noodles though.  If any one has
any concrete, scientific reason why we should NOT be eating buckwheat
in spite of what I've read, please let me know!

Jane