From:
"P.SHATTOCK" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 00:50:44 +0000

There has been quite an encouraging response to my previous posting about
the desirability of such a product. Don Kasarda has described precisely
what we had in mind for this product. We have been checking out the
possibilities for a "beer" based on sorghum or on millet. My
understanding is that these grains would be low in the amylase enzymes
which are required to convert the starch into fermentable sugars.
Therefore enzymes from some other source must be added and these are
available from bacterial sources.

Personally I have not knowingly tasted the African products which are
made in this way but I am told they are perfectly acceptable. I will try
to get hold of some and perform some organoleptic tests.

I must also agree with Don that it is very difficult to test for gluten
content in beer and so it would be necessary to be able to guarantee that
the starting materials are all totally clean. However we will try to
think of something which will work.

Katriina Mdkinen has reported that a number of very well known European
brands of beer are claimed to be "gluten-free" by the Swedish Coeliac
Association. I am only guessing here but I would imagine that this status
is obtained by filtration of the proteins.

It has been reported that it is not necessary to have the whole molecule
of gluten to get the classic coeliac response so presumably soluble
peptide elements (from breakdown of the protein) could still evoke this
response in a technically "gluten-free" beer.

Am I correct on that one Don (Kasarda)?

I have been censured for asking personal questions on this list but I
thought the question and the hoped for response might be of general interest.

Good Health,    Paul Shattock.