From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:19:55 -0500

Joe,

Did I miss something... is lymphoma considered to be an *auto*immune
disease?  Is cancer in general considered an autoimmune response?

The textbook I bought for my birthday on Immunology ( Essential Immunology
by Ivan Roitt) did not include cancers in its two chapters on autoimmunity,
but it mentioned lymphoma in its chapter on tumor immunology.

What is the distinction?

Are there any studies out there linking celiac with other autoimmune
diseases?  This Roitt book did say that if you have had one autoimmune
disease you were more likely to get another.  I wonder where he was getting
that information.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Susan Owens

Ps.

Listmates in general,

If there is any interest, I'd be glad to generate a list of the autoimmune
illnesses mentioned in Roitt's book.  My dad also has pernicious anemia, and
I was unaware until I saw that chart that it was considered an autoimmune
disease.