From:
Melissas Picchini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 17:52:22 -0400

Concerning a biopsy, I beleive that having a definate diagnosis is important.
This way, there is no question about exactly what health problems must be
addressed.  Looking back,my son, Ryan, had symptoms from age 7mo. until I put
him on a gluten free diet at the age of 2 yrs.  The doctors could not get a
grip on what the problem was and I finally took matters into my own hands (I
have a a bachelors degree in Foods and Nutrition).  Later, after finding a
good doctor, Ryan was put on a diet containing gluten for several months and
biopsied. At age 3 1/2 yrs., we knew that Ryan had Celiac.  He has been on a
gluten free diet ever since and is above average in size for his age.  I do
not think that the diet is difficult as far as eating and staying healthy,
however, the emotional side to being "different" is a challenge for children
no matter how high their self-esteem. Also, the expense of it can be great if
you do not have the time to make everything yourself.  Ryan is now in middle
school and the challenges are greater because he is in so many more social
situations that require a close eye and I have less and less acess to these
situaitons without being obvious.  Ryan is very educated on what to eat, but
there are so many hidden sources that can slip in and he is very sensitive.
 Sometimes he prefers me to provide substitues and sometimes he wants to deal
with it himself. (He will eat at home and then eat nothing or very little at
the event.)  He is learning how to cook for himself.  He is on a traveling
soccer team and we spend many weekends on the road.  Restaurant meals are
either not available or not available in the time alloted between games.
 Flexibility is translated into how much we've prepared in advance. We live a
gluten free lifestyle.  It's takes education to meet the challenge.  Every
family has it's own issues around such an undertaking.  Luckily, our issues
have been minor so far. When the challenges are great, it's good to have a
definate diagnosis. Then you can be sure that you are in this lifestyle for
sure and that you are really doing the right thing by keeping your child
gluten-free.  When they resist the challenge, it can give you strength.
 Melissa Picchini