From:
Timothy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 21:41:08 GMT

> True, but oats are considered to be GF in the United Kingdom!  All
> celiacs, in my view, should err on the side of safety!  CSA/USA must have
> some good reasons for prohibiting distilled vinegar.

The UK food list does list Oat containing products, but in a separate appendix
with the comment that some Coeliacs can tolerate oats, but most can't, and
that people should only eat oats if advised by their doctor that it is safe
for them to do so. (That isn't an exact quote!)

   Tim

P.S. I was looking at some old logs and someone mentioned that the UK
considered wheat starch to be GF. I think they had misunderstood about
the specially treated wheat starch which complies with the
International Codex Alimentarius standard.  This is considered to be
safe for Coeliacs. Ordinary wheat starch definitely isn't. So that
members can make their own choice foods, containing the special starch
are indicated in our food list. I have heard that Italy doesn't allow
this starch at all (presumably because of the importance of bread and
pasta in the normal diet) Personally I have had it for years without
problems.