From:
John Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 1995 10:18:29 -0400

Elizabeth Jenkins ([log in to unmask]) wrote: I may also >be
allergic to corn and about 10 other foods.  Has anyone else got this >problem?

I'd be curious to know whether celiacs have a greater incidence of food
allergies (for example, to wheat) than does the general population.

I recently had a blood sample analysed by the RAST method to test for
allergies to 16 foods.  The results were mailed to me.  Total IgE was 27.6
kU/l.    (Does anyone know the significance of that finding or what the "U"
stands for?)

The RAST testings found class 1(minimal reaction) allergies to wheat,
peanut, tomato, and rye and class 1/0 (borderline reactions) to egg white,
corn, orange, and barley.  Other items such as oats, milk, beef, chicken
meat, codfish, and cacao were 0.  The cover letter indicates that "In order
to try and determine whether this is a food allergy, avoidance and
reintroduction will be necessary."

The avoidance and reintroduction process is easier using a notebook to
record all food intake during each day and any symptoms noted during the day.

One result of dropping wheat, oats, and rye from my diet is that a skin
rash, which I've had on my chest more or less consistently for the past
10-15 years has gone away.  About 12 years ago a dermatologist who was also
a highly-regarded professor of nutrition examined the rash and I believe
mentioned something about "possible gluten or lactose intolerance."  That
shows how troublesome putting a rigorous avoidance and reintroduction test
can be, for me at least!

John