From:
Virginia Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 09:04:35 EDT

Shirley,
I would get the actual specimen and bring it to a doctor who knows about
Celiac.

I experienced a similiar problem.  When mine was done about 6 yrs ago I was
told it was a low positive.  I brought the report to another doctor who read
it as neg.  He did a challenge biopsy and said that was neg.  He wanted me to
get back on gluten.  Since I got very sick when I tried I went to a third
doctor who diagnosed me with Celiac by my symptoms and family history.

Since I am new to this group I have been thinking a lot about that biopsy.  My
local support group had a meeting this week with a Gastroenterologist
speaking.  I asked him about the biopsy.  He said it normally reads "non
specific".  There should be some flatening of the villi or Partial Villous
Atrophy.  There might be increased Interepithelial Lymphocytes and also some
mention of crypt Hyperplasia.  He told me he would have liked to have seen the
original slides.

If you are anywhere near New Jersey, E-mail me and I will give you the
name of the doctor who spoke.