From:
MRS PEGGY SMITH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 13:26:49 EDT

Tim,
  My 3 yr old was diagnosed with CD after an initial biopsy,
6 months on the GF diet, a 2nd biopsy, a 6 week gluten
challenge (consisting of 1 saltine cracker per day), then a
3rd and final biopsy.  His Ped. Gastro. thought we needed to
follow this procedure because his blood tests did not
indicate CD but we had ruled out almost everything else with
no results from any of the medications we had tried for the
6 months prior to his 1st biopsy.  He seems to be pretty
sensitive (at least at this point) but it is hard to tell
with a 3yr old!  He did have an immediate reraction to the
gluten challenge, with his diarrhea returning within an hour
of eating the 1st cracker, and his complaints of his tummy
hurting prior to that.
  He doesn't tolerate caramel coloring well either, even in
products where the caramel coloring is supposed to be GF.
We do not know if this is related to his CD or if it is
stricktly an intollerance on his part.  He cannot tolerate
annatto coloring well either, and had problems with milk
before the CD was brought to the forefront by an intestinal
infection.  Good luck with your son.  E-mail me if you have
any questions about kid type foods or just want to chat
about handling a little one on the diet!  Will does really
well on his diet and his health is really good now!

Peggy Smith
Columbia, SC