Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 23:49:44 -0500
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

On Feb. 13, 1995, Wendy E. Betts wrote:

>Don, I would like to know more about your objections to MSG. According
>to Bette Hagman's _More from the Gluten-free Gourmet_ MSG in America
>and Canada is derived from beet sugar and does not countain gluten.

Correct, MSG usually does not contain gluten. According to the "Hidden
Sources of MSG", which I recently uploaded, MSG can be made from *many*
sources, usually gluten free.

My objections are towards the food industry and the sleazy way they go
about hiding ingredients in the food they sell us.

As for MSG itself, it is the cause of *many* people's chronic
headaches, and migranes. Because of the pervasiveness of MSG in the
food supply (starting with breakfast cereals and on through the day),
people with chronic headaches cannot pinpont a cause. And because it is
so hidden, people don't even know they're eating it! The amount of
glutamate that is manufactured and sold increases every year.

>HVP on the other hand, is listed as sometimes derived from wheat.

Actually using barley for this is/was popular due to its own unique
flavor that people like. It does seems from this listserv, and from
reading hot dog labels, that usage of a gluten grain as the source of
HVP is on the decline.  It is very possible that celiac complaints
caused this. And there doesn't appear to be anybody lobbying against
using soy instead.

> but I'm not convinced
>that "natural flavors" *always* indicates MSG nor that it is always
>dangerous to celiacs.

Natural flavors does *not* always indicate HVP, much less always
indicate MSG. It is not always dangerous to celiacs. Natural flavors is
most likely benign when used in a fruit product. See discussion in
NOMSG document. But it is ambiguous, and food suppliers can change the
underlying ingredients of natural flavors at any time without changing
the label.

>For what it's worth, I've eaten Oscar Meyer products on their list as
>gluten-free without obvious problems.

Then I guess they're suppliers are telling them the truth. But that is
not an excuse for refusing to disclose the ingredients for items that
are known aliases for MSG.

[log in to unmask], New York, NY
BondCalc Corporation, Tel: 212.587.0097, Fax: 212.587.9142