Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 09:25:36 -0500
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

>The Heinz Vegetarian Beans showed a distinct and *high* level of gluten.

I went to my store and checked out the label.  On it I found "Natural
Flavors".  This *is* HVP.  It is the legal and accepted way of labeling this
ingredient.  Additionally I found tomato paste.  Since most tomato paste has
HVP, and Heinz need not list the ingredients in the paste they used, it can
be presumed to also include HVP.  By hiding some in it, they can list the
natural flavors further down the list ranking.

Some food companies, and possibly Heinz, do not consider HVP to contain
gluten.  Some, like Ragu, refuse to disclose what is in "natural flavors".

Note that this is also sometimes called natural flavoring, natural juices,
or just flavoring.  I would also be suspect of smoke flavoring, broth,
vegetable broth, lime water and treated with lime (see previous posting).

It may still be legal for foods under the Agricultural Dept's jurisdiction
to hide HVP in seasonings or spices.  (Basically the Ag Dept covers meats
and the FDA covers all else.)