Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 4 May 1995 10:02:00 EDT
From:
"Scheim, David" <[log in to unmask]>

I totally agree with the recommendations that Celiacs maintain a totally
gluten-free diet and not rely on anything such as plant enzymes in its stead
until such time as conclusive effects are known.  Since trace gluten pops up
everywhere -- even in the lime additive to corn chips (I can't overstate my
disgust with both food manufacturers and the FDA for allowing such sneaky
additions to occur) -- it is reasonable to consider strategies which could
tend to minimize the harmful effects of low levels of ingested gluten.

I believe that potential benefits of plant enzymes is an interesting research
area to track.  I have one paper on papain inactivation of gliadin and
another on order from our library at NIH.  I am also tracking the systemic
absorption and activity of orally administered enzymes in another context,
and am finding that hefty dose oral intake can have pronounced physiological
effects without toxicity.

In short I believe that the inadvisability of taking plant enzymes in lieu of
strict adherence to a gluten-free diet should not prevent an open-minded
discussion of the potential benefits of enzymes as a research topic.

   -- David Scheim, Ph.D.

P.S. - I lost the original message on plant enzymes.  If it has anything more
than the excerpted paragraph including a nutritionist's recommendation for
Ness formula #21, I would appreciate the original poster EMailing me a copy
if possible.  Thanks.