From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 15:45:17 -0500

In our family to avoid getting bread crumbs in the gluten free spreads,
ie peanut butter, jam, mayo, butter, basically any container a knife goes
in, we buy 2 and label 1 CODY.  Since he was the first diagnosed we use
his name for the both of us and he recognizes his own name on the jars.
Mind you we do go through a lot of knives at mealtimes since sometimes we
forget which knife went in which container, we get out a new knife.  We
are lucky that our fridge is an "all fridge" which has a huge fridge area
and a tiny freezer area in the bottom corner.  We also have a full size
bar fridge, downstairs, which holds all the GF flours, bread crumbs,
crackers crumbs, etc.  in ice cream buckets.

Also since we have babysitters coming into the house and who sometimes
must feed the children, we find it easier to have 2 of each with the GF
labelled so the sitter does not have to read the labels to find snacks
for Cody (I always prepare a GF meal to leave).  We also have a separate
cupboard for what we call "cody snacks".

If anyone has other tips on kitchen set-up, please provide as sometimes
the kitchen looks over-run with pots, strainers, etc from cooking 2 sets
of things like pasta.  I find it very expensive to feed the whole family
GF so I make one sauce (GF) and two pastas (one GF the other not).

karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada