From:
Wayne Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 12:13:18 -0400

>   We are going on a cruise in a couple of weeks
>  Does anyone have any good advice about eating
> on the ship ....I have never been on a cruise before

It all depends on the cruise line.  Recently my wife and I went on a
couple of cruises with Carnival and each time we had to fight tooth and
nail for them to recognize the dangers of food allergys.

Don't rely on the information passed by your travel agent to the cruise
lines to be noticed by the waiter staff.  At your first meal in the Main
Dining room have a heart to heart with the Maitre'd or headwaiter.  In
the end the only help we recieved was the Maitre'd and Headwaiter
pointing out the foods they ***thought*** or ***were told by the chef***
that it would be unwise to eat.  We found that relying on the table
waiter was dangerous since both times english was very distant second
language, resulting in smiles and yesses no matter what you were trying
to emphasize.

Even though the literature in the cruise pamphlet said that with advanced
notice they would cater to allergys and food restrictions we discovered
otherwise.

A careful eater should be able to make it through the cruise by insisting
that no sauces be put on the main course.  There is fruit, cheese, and
salads to be had everywhere, and in the main dining room you can ask for
oil and vinegar dressing for the salad.  Alas, the best way to remain
gluten free on a cruise and still enjoy it, is to bring along your own
filling snacks to compliment the limited meal choices you'll have.  Bon
Voyage!