From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 13:25:18 EST

>         2.  I know oats are forbidden (is this finally conclusive?) but
> I've been wondering about oat bran as a way to add fiber.  I have used

My understanding is that oats do contain gluten, and are therefore not
safe for celiacs.

> I've never tried oat bran.
> Does it just absorb fluids and pass through the body without doing
> harm?  Does the bran contain gluten?

There are differing opinions regarding products made from
gluten-containing grains.  Some people believe that a certain low level
of gluten intake is acceptable.  Some people believe that the gluten is
removed from products such as wheat starch.  On the other hand, many
people believe that no amount of gluten is acceptable for celiacs, and
anything made from a gluten grain is suspect and should be avoided.  I
agree with this second, much more stringent group, and would advise
staying away from oat bran.  (I should point out that I am not in the
medical profession, I'm just the parent of two celiac children.)

                   --- Jim Lyles ([log in to unmask]) ---