From:
Pam Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 10:34:54 -0700

        I am delighted to discover this list.  I am a member of the Albuquerque
Gluten Intolerance Support Group (50 members) and we just received word
of this list's existence.  I've been gluten-free for 8 years and am
always looking for information and tips.
        Two questions, sorry if they've been covered or are in the FAQ
(is there a FAQ yet?).  I've got all the list back issues and just read
through November 1994 (they're all quite lengthy--a good sign).  I'm not
quite brave enough to try the database search function yet.
        1.  Nearly all gluten-free recipes and products I see, especially for
baked goods, are fairly high in fat.  Is anyone working on modifying
these?  I play around with substitutions a lot, eg. applesauce for butter.  I
called Energ-E Foods about this and they said their concern is getting
the gluten out, not the fat.  Do others share my concern?
        2.  I know oats are forbidden (is this finally conclusive?) but
I've been wondering about oat bran as a way to add fiber.  I have used
rice bran, but it has a high fat content.  I've never tried oat bran.
Does it just absorb fluids and pass through the body without doing
harm?  Does the bran contain gluten?  No doubt I'm revealing my horrible
ignorance about the digestive process.

Thanks for any help,
Pam