From:
Nicola Hamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 13:41:19 EST

David Esterman writes:

> I am interested to know how other Jewish coeliacs manage over Passover -
> this will be my first as a coeliac and while I am okay with the health
> aspect, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any mechanisms for
> staying within the spirit of pesachdige cooking and still coping.

Passover is a pain in the neck for celiacs.  I find it too difficult
to stay within the pesachdige spirit.  One problem is that matza
crumbs get everywhere and in everything on the table.  Another is that
kosher products that are usually gluten free, like soup bases, end up
with matza meal in them when they become kosher for passover.  Perhaps
the biggest problem is that other people think passover is great for
celiacs since nobody eats bread.

My suggestion is to not change your diet during Passover and to have a
stash of rice and rice products close to your seat at the seder.  If
you are looking for a pesachdige justification for this menu, tell
people that Iraqi Jews eat rice during passover.
Mitchell>