From:
Beth Vail Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 10:41:54 MST

Thanks for the replies to my request for a GF pancake syrup for my son.

One suggestion was Log Cabin Lite syrup; I called Kraft Foods yesterday
to confirm this, and they said that because their supplier's recipes
are proprietary, they *may contain gluten*.  Their advice is that if
you have gluten sensitivities you "should NOT consume this product".
:-(

I did find another syrup made by T.J. Blackburn company in Texas.  It
doesn't even contain maple!  The only suspect ingredient is "artificial
maple flavor".  I've written them a letter asking for clarification as
to whether this flavor contains gluten.  Andy likes the taste.

There were several suggestions regarding natural maple syrup.  This
would be the ideal choice, since it certainly is gluten-free, but Andy
doesn't like it.  We have Grade B syrup; Grade A might appeal to him
more but I don't know if I want to waste another $6 to find out.
Another suggestion was to dilute the real maple syrup with Karo (corn
syrup).  This seems like a good idea, as it would add the stickiness
and thickness that Andy may be missing.

Beth Jones