From:
Richard Abrams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 20:42:30 -0400

I have no experience with the manufacture of distilled beverages, but my
understanding of so basic a chemical procedure as distillation is that
distillation through a moderately efficient reflux tower is very
effective at separating volatile from non-volatile components.  Even any
micro-droplets of pot-liquor carried up as spray should be trapped in the
upper parts of the distilling apparatus so that non-volatiles such as
gluten or peptides if they are formed do not get into the distillate.
What does get over are the volatile components of the fermentation
mixture, alcohol, esters, and aldehydes and other fusel oil components.
It is these non-alcoholic volatile organic components that vary depending
upon the grain that was used for fermentation, and they, especially the
esters are responsible for the taste of the beverage.  I had hoped that
someone experienced in the manufacture of alcoholic liquors would have
answered your question, hence my delay in responding.