From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 08:08:41 -0500

On Feb 14, Wendy Betts wrote:

> What I want to know is whether there's a specific reason that
>all or most celiacs would be sensitive to it, if it does not contain
>gluten.

There is *no* specific reason that all or most celiacs would be
sensitive to MSG, if it does not contain gluten.

However, in studies 15-30% of the participants showed some reation to
MSG.  The following is an except from the NOMSG membership form:

MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) is a commonly used "flavor enhancer". Unlike
salt or other seasonings, MSG does _not_ alter the actual taste of food
to which it has been added. It "enhances" the taste by exiting and
increasing the sensitivity of your taste buds - stimulating an
electrical discharge to the brain. Basically, MSG affects you, not the
food. Because of this, it may cause serious physical reactions.

MSG as a Drug and Neurotransmitter!
-----------------------------------
There is increasing concern in the medical profession regarding the
_extensive use_ of MSG in our food. This concern results from the fact
that MSG acts as a *neurotransmitter* in the brain - stimulating brain
cell activity. In other words, MSG *tricks* your brain into thinking
the food you are eating tastes good! Manufacturers can use inferior
ingredients, and, by adding MSG or MSG-containing substances, make the
product "appear" tastier.  Low quality = high profits...at the expense
of the health of millions of people!  MSG intolerance is not usually an
allergic reaction, but a true drug reaction in your body. A high enough
dose of MSG is toxic to everyone!

Common Reactions
----------------
The following is a partial list of reactions to MSG: Headaches,
migraines, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, "irritable bowel syndrome",
stomach upset, asthma attacks, skin rashes, heart palpitations, anxiety
or panic attacks, shortness of breath, balance difficulties, heart
attack-like symptoms, allergy-type symptoms, mood swings, behavioral
disorders (especially in children and teens), mental confusion, runny
nose, partial paralysis, bags under the eyes, flushing, mouth lesions,
and depression. In additon, there is some medical research which haas
demonstrated a glutamate link with Alzheimer's Disease, ALS (Lou
Gehrig's Disease), Huntington's Disease and Parkinson's Disease.

[log in to unmask], New York, NY
BondCalc Corporation, Tel: 212.587.0097, Fax: 212.587.9142