From:
Rex Sunderland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 12:47:08 EST

In my quest for a GF worcestershire sauce, I called the the 1-800 number
concerning French's worcestirshire sauce.  To my surprise the representative
I talked with told me that their WS sauce was indeed GF. I was also told
that all varities of French's mustards and their red hot sauce were also
GF. This surprised my as the leading ingredient on the bottle of WS sauce
is distilled vinegar.  When I asked about this, I was told their vinegar is
free of wheat, barley, rye and oats and distilled from alcohol (which is
also free of these grains). Excuse my ignorance, but could this really
be true. If anyone has a laymans description of how the distillation process
works and how that relates to Gluten in distilled vinegars, I would be happy
to hear it.

As always, please verify before using any new product - the customer service
number for French's is 1-800-841-1256.

P.S. One of the celiac agencies/groups puts out a suggestion card to
     present to your server when eating out; on that card it states
     that people with celiac dis./sprue do well with Hellman's brand
     mayonaise. I haven't contacted the manufacturer of Hellman's,
     but would be interested in a telephone number or comments.

 Rex Sunderland