GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2021 10:47:57 -0500
Dear All,

I wanted to make colleagues aware of two Events that New Gestalt Voices is running during February to support the Belarusian community and hopefully to raise some money.

Please see below. The 24hr “Love in”  on 12/13th Feb is a marathon group event, replicating the “John and Yoko” spirit of the 60s (come with or without pyjamas!). This Event is put on with support of IAAGT. You are welcome to drop and and drop out over a 24hr period, and contribute to figures as they emerge. An exercise in spontaneity.

The event on the 21st Feb, is a 3hr participative forum drawing speakers from 5 countries (US, UK, Georgia, Israel and Belarus) to reflect on experience of socio-political polarisation, and what support can be gained from gestalt theory to help us endure and navigate this process of splitting (see whole text below). We are grateful to Malcolm Parlett for having agreed to speak, and will update you on other speakers nearer the time.

Both events are without charge. All donations that we receive will go to Belarus.

We warmly invite you to sign up via the Eventbrite links below.

John

1. 24HR MARATHON ONLINE ‘LOVE IN’ FOR BELARUS: With support of IAAGT. (See attached flyer). Friday 12th February 15.00 EST / 21.00 CET - Saturday 13th February 15.00 EST / 21.00 CET / All donations go towards the Belarussian Gestalt Community’s fundraising campaign. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/138177940941

2. STAYING WITH SOCIAL SPLITS IN TIMES OF STRIFE: BELARUS AND THE WIDER WORLD
Sunday 21st February 11.00 - 14.00 EST  / 17.00 - 20.00 CET
Since the Presidential elections on August 9 2020, Belarus is facing difficult times. Over 36 000 Belarusians have been arrested and have spent time in prison, often being beaten and tortured. Hundreds are still imprisoned, and thousands have been physically violated, their rights taken away. All of the country has spent over 5 months under this daily traumatization.

Thousands of Belarusians have chosen to leave the country and currently have to stay abroad. Those who have stayed live in a field full of anxiety and fears, often suspicious of each other. The country is split into those supporting the governmental position and perceiving reality according to the views transmitted by the official mass media; and those witnessing violence, and torture, who are willing to support a better life through fighting for freedom. The longer the situation goes on, the more obvious this split becomes, penetrating different aspects of life: family, work, education, sports, arts, and therapy.

How do we endure the splits and stay alive? Where do we find support towards integration? What are gestalt perspectives that can support us in our different domains of life, therapy, training? What are the ways gestalt theory of contact is informed by those social splits?

This forum is a starter for dialogue important for Belarusian gestalt practitioners, teachers, students, and clients. It is a space to bring resources to the tasks of keeping going, living, and supporting each other.

The forum is open and free for gestalt people & friends throughout the world. Participants with any political views are welcome. The idea is to create a space for different sharings around the experience of living through times of strife and socio-political divisions.

We have invited speakers from the following countries: Belarus as a keynote speaker, Ukraine, Israel, Georgia, USA, Great Britain/Poland. Gestalt practitioners will present their experiences with theoretical reflections, followed by discussions amongst participants in small groups.

English/Russian translation is provided.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/staying-with-social-splits-in-times-of-strife-belarus-and-the-wider-world-tickets-138177940941
--

Gstalt-L is an independent eCommunity of people interested in gestalt therapy theory and its various applications. Its public archives can be found at http://listserv.icors.org/scripts/wa-ICORS.exe?A0=GSTALT-L, and subscriptions can be managed by clicking on "Subscriber's Corner," which is found at the archives.