GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Shawn Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 06:48:39 -0500
As a novice Gestalt therapist and a recovering alcoholic with almost 3
years sobriety, I would like to jump in briefly here.  I am finding the
theoretical discussion here invaluable and now have nearly a dozen
references to follow up on the Web and elsewhere to learn more about the
Gestalt approach to addiction, for which I am grateful.  I am interested to
learn more about how the Gestalt model might be applied to alcoholism and
also sexual compulsion.

My recovery has been inseparable from the Gestalt training I was undergoing
at the time I entered AA's rooms.  Had I not been immersed in the vital
processes of deepening my awareness, learning how to make authentic contact
with myself and others, and most specifically, understanding how
introjection work inside and around me, my experience of AA would not have
been so deeply healing.  I imagine that some--I would go so far as to say
"many"--in the 12-step program unconsciously introject the principles of
recovery the way they swallowed booze and the steps become yet another
foreign body poisoning their system.  Had I not had my own expanding
awareness of how I am prone to do just that, I do not believe I would have
been able to assimilate the steps to the degree that I have.  Don't know
that I am yet able to articulate this as clearly as I would like, but
Gestalt has been absolutely crucial to my progress towards creating a sober
life.

Shawn Mooney
Edmonton, Alberta
www.telusplanet.net/public/mooneys