GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 12:24:10 -0500
Phil, and the lists --

I've signed on to the AAGT, and Gestlt-L, thanks to a recent tip from Phil
Brownell on the Sportpsy list.  I won't make a habit of posting to both lists
at once, since the membership probably overlaps.  Though I do like getting
double messages...
(I know, puns are the lowest form of humor!).

This is neat!  I had come to think that Gestalt therapy was an anachronism.
 I'm all excited now, though struck by the degree of insulation from the
field I've developed through my years of doing other work, and the past
five-and-a-half years as a full-time Daddy.

I still have no personal connections in my area (40 minutes south of Boston)
for face-to-face peer support.  It's a problem, because I have little desire
to do clinical work in isolation.  I have a Master's Degree in Clinical
Psychology, but no license (and no clients).  Too late to be grand-parented
back into the field, and too poor to return to graduate school to meet the
current requirements (and then there's that full-time Daddy thing).

My specific Gestalt training was at the Boston Gestalt Institute under Rich
Borofsky and Michael Miller.  Laura Perls came for one of the week-ends --
Fritz was smart to marry her!  My work experience was in standard
psychotherapy and psychodiagnostics in outpatient mental health clinics, and
later in alcoholism counseling (inpatient).  My desire now is to work from
home (Daddy-tracking), returning to my initial focus on Gestalt therapy.
   Personal growth and performance enhancement programs (sport or performing
arts) are interests -- I don't expect or desire to take on seriously needy or
crisis-oriented clients from my home.  Consulting to organizations is another
possibility, but an area in which I have no experience -- scary to do alone.

So for starters -- are there any Gestalt therapists active in my area? I want
to re-connect to other Gestalt therapists for peer support and clinical
supervision.

Secondly -- Where does the field stand these days regarding certification,
licensure, and degree requirements?  Since I have no ready route to a Ph.D.or
licensure in Massachusetts, I'm fully prepared to assert that certification,
licensure, and such notions are a crock.  :>)

But seriously, where is Gestalt therapy these days on the issue?
 Certification has always seemed to me to be a means by which wolves can
obtain sheep's clothing.  I have never recommended a therapist I didn't know
personally, and never would.  Certifying boards seem willing to do this.

On the other hand, if it turns out I already have the credentials,
experience, and processing fee to be certified as a Gestalt Therapist --
please ignore everything I said in the previous paragraph!  Sign me up.  My
business could use the public credibility.  Many of my Principles do exactly
as I say.  :>)

Finally, what are you folks charging these days for groups, individual
sessions, and the like?  I don't want to plan my business with foolishly high
or low fees.

I'd be happy to hear from you all, on or off the list.  I won't redistribute
replies from one list to the other.

And -- Thanks, Phil.

Regards,

Bruce
Bruce Edward Barrett, M.A., C.P.T. (Certified Personal Trainer!)
Cloverset
Duxbury, MA