From:
Nicola Hamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 12:28:40 EST

> Does anyone have details on how they sucessfully fought an insurance
> company and obtained insurance (especially medical).

I have a story about fighting an insurance company that may be of
interest to celiacs but probably will not help the person who posted
this question.  Living in Canada, I have never had the pleasure of
having to apply for health insurance.

About five years ago I bought life insurance from London Life.  When
the salesman met me he explained how LL had seven medical rankings.
He said that for someone my age who didn't smoke or jump out of
airplanes I would have no problem getting in the first ranking.
Naturally they sent me for a medical exam and asked that I get a
report on my celiac condition.  Once LL had reviewed my medicals the
salesman called me up to congratulate me on making it into LL's top 2
rankings.  In plain English that meant I was ranked 2 out of seven.

I told the salesman that there was no reason to not rank me in the top
category.  I explained that CD was not life threatening and that it
did not make me a greater risk to a life insurance company.  The
salesman argued that most life insurance companies have fewer than
seven rankings and that I should be happy to be in the top two.  He
said that the top two rankings translate into the top ranking at most
other insurance companies.

I asked to speak with the person who made the decision because
obviously that person does not know much about CD.  My request was
turned down.

I realized that if I accepted LL's decision I would be forced to pay
more for insurance my whole life even though there was no reason that
I was a greater risk.  I told the salesman if they wouldn't give me
the top medical ranking I would not buy insurance from him.  I also
threw in a line or two about being a loyal customer and if the company
treated me nice today I would stick with them in the future.

A few days later the salesman called me back to say that he had never
heard anything like this happening before but the company would rank
me in the top category.

As it turns out LL's gamble paid off.  I have paid my premiums and
CD has yet to claim my life.

Despite the fact that my story is probably of no help to people trying
to get US health insurance, hopefully it will inspire people to fight
those lousy insurance compan
es.

Mitchell Bellman