From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 13:38:31 EST

The CSA/USA gluten-free food listing is a compilation of gluten-free
foodlists from several of their local chapters around the country,
including ours (the Tri-County Celiac Sprue Support Group, in southeast
Michigan).  Because it is a compilation, there are bound to be a few
errors or at least questionable entries.  I believe the explanatory
information at the beginning of each food section in their guide is
almost of more value than the product listings themselves.

Regarding oats:  There are still (apparently) some gastroenterologists
and dietitians that think oats are okay for celiacs, even though oats
contain gluten.  Our support group, and several well-known doctors do
NOT recommend oats or any product containing them.  I would agree,
then, that Alpha-bits and Captain Crunch are NOT gluten-free and should
not be eaten by celiacs.

Regarding malt:  I believe that malt is usually, though not always,
derived from barley.  So, unless the source of the malt is specified,
you should avoid foods that contain malt, malt powder, malt syrup, or
even malt flavoring.  Many name-brand cereals would be okay, if it
weren't for the malt flavoring.  Cereals such as corn flakes and Rice
Krispies are not acceptable for Celiacs due to malt flavoring.

To the best of my knowledge, these cereals are gluten-free:
Sun-Flakes, Corn Pops, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, and of course,
puffed rice.  Another breakfast food that my two celiac children like
is Instant Grits with a slice of cheese.  These are like instant
oatmeal; you just mix them with 1/2 cup of hot water and let them sit
for a minute.  These foods, along with the usual cereals found at
health food stores, are the quick and easy breakfast staples at our
house.