GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Bloom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 2020 10:55:14 -0400
Names matter.

Coronavirus
Novel coronavirus
Covid
COVID
Covid-19
COVID-19

Those are the ways I’ve read “it” referred to? Are there different connotations, meanings, semantic situations expressed or implied in these words?

I’ve used “Covid.”

 “Coronavirus” seems too generic.  The common cold and seasonal flue are coronaviruses.  So why not add “-19”? That specifies it. But it makes it more scientific.

"Covid” is short and sounds like a dagger to me. It is sharp and vicious. That name, to me, carries with it the global disaster that extends beyond the disease per se.

Yet it looks like “coronavirus” is more and more the name.  I just hope it isn’t medicalizing our suffering that goes beyond medicine.

Dan
Gstalt-L is an independent eCommunity of people interested in gestalt therapy theory and its various applications. Its public archives can be found at http://listserv.icors.org/scripts/wa-ICORS.exe?A0=GSTALT-L, and subscriptions can be managed by clicking on "Subscriber's Corner," which is found at the archives.