EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:10:55 -0500
Congratulations Marlys,

You have solved the problem, at least as far as JAWS users are concerned. JAWS
users can access the alternative text associated with graphic objects in Word
documents by, first, converting shapes to inline objects -- press Alt + Ctrl +
Shift + C; and second, listing the inline objects -- press Ctrl + Shift + O.
The alternative text of all graphics are listed in the dialog box. There is no
need to select the objects individually or right click on them. The dialog box
lists each object, its type -- usually "Picture" -- and its Alt text.

If you skip the first step, WordArt objects will not be recognized as
pictures, although clipart will be. But once you press the Alt + Ctrl + Shift
+ C hotkey, WordArt objects are converted to pictures, and can be selected and
right-clicked using the two techniques I outlined yesterday. Either search for
^g, the wildcard for graphic objects, or hunt for graphics one character at a
time using Shift + right arrow. Remember, you must deselect before advancing
to the next character by pressing right arrow.

Non-screen reader users who prefer not to, or who cannot, use a mouse may be
out of luck. I have scoured Word for a command to convert WordArt to inline
objects. Alt + Ctrl + Shift + C is a JAWS, not a Word hotkey. The secret, I am
almost positive, is a poorly-documented and maddeningly unreliable Word
command called "DrawSelectAll." One should be able to execute the command by
pressing Alt + F8, typing DrawSelectAll in the Macro field, and then pressing
Enter. This is not working for me. The command became reliable only after I
added it to a menu. The procedure for adding a Word command to a menu MUST be
done with a mouse; there are no keyboard equivalents. Choose "Customize" from
the Tools menu. Go to the "Commands" tab. Under "Categories," choose "All." In
the "Commands" pane, locate "DrawSelectAll." Use the mouse to drag the command
to the menu or toolbar of your choice, and drop it where you want it to
appear. Finally, close the "Customize" dialog box.

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor + Associates Inc.
Workplace Accommodation Consultants
www.interlog.com/~acantor

Dear Mr. Cantor,

In Jaws 3.7, one can Convert Shapes to inLine objects by pressing
Alt+Ctrl+Shift+C.   WordArt is, apparently, considered an Object.

To List inLine Objects in the document, press Ctrl+Shift+O.  The WordArt
Object is now listed in the "Inline Objects" dialog box.  It is similar to the
JAWS links list.

I still can't seem to select the object, but at least I can read the
associated text in the dialog box.

Not really a solution, only a step along the way!  I seem to recall some
other possibilities.  Should I write again if I find out more?

Warm Regards,

Marlys

 See EASI Special October Bonus offer at http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI November courses are:
Barrier-free E-learning, Accessible Internet Multimedia and Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design:
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi

>>> Error in line 8 of EASI.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<