EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 13:26:15 -0700
Oh there are lots of ways to deliver online information.  I believe the
presenter needs to understand the technology being used and his
purpose.  It is important to blend them for maximum efficiency.

I have delivered online courses to upwards of 5,000 people over 20 years
and to more than 3 dozen countries.

I believe narrated powerpoint has a lot of merit online but it is a lot
more work and with some changes in the software is presently more difficult
to make fully accessible than it used to be.
At 03:21 PM 6/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Professor,
>
>You are not alone, but then again I am not a professer.  Why use power
>point at all?  I know that in every situation the following options cannot
>be used, but here goes an explanation of another method of delivering
>lectures and on line information.
>
>I recently delivered a seminar on producing accessible Web pages.  My
>presentation used a screen projection of an HTML file on my computer at the
>head of the lab.  A list of points to cover were displayed while I
>lectured.  When I needed to go forward and discuss one of the points, I
>clicked on it because the points were links.  This overview became a
>dynamic means for delivering the whole lecture with examples and
>information appearing quite easily when needed.  No squares being placed
>into round wholes here.
>
>At 08:56 AM 6/8/02 , you wrote:
> >PowerPoint canworkwith a screen reader especially if the slides focus on
> >text materials.  It makes the material a bit more of a bother to navigate
> >and read on the web than content ought to be, but it can be readily
>accessible.
> >
> >As a distance learning practitioner for 20 years, I deplore the widespread
> >use of PowerPoint in distance learning.  It is one of the more thoughtless
> >and lazy ways to provide materials and largely undermines the unique
> >strengths of distance learning and totally misses the point of what
> >PowerPoint is for as well.
> >
> >Teachers who just take material and throw it on the web and think that is
> >distance learning are squeezing a square peg into a round hole.
> >
> >PowerPoint is intended to be the backdrop to a presentation and not the
> >presentation.  It is like writing the outline for a book and publishing it
> >and not bothering to write the book.
> >
> >However, I am sure I am a lone, cranky voice hollering down an empty rain
> >barrel and will be immediately ignored.
> >Norman Coombs
> >Proffesor Emeritus, Rochester Institute of Technology
> >CEO, EASI
> >Cell (949) 922-5992
> >e-mail [log in to unmask]
> >
>---
>Ross Eadie
>Voice:  (204) 339-5287

                 Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO, EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)
http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Professor Emeritus, Rochester Institute of Technology
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
         Cell (949) 922-5992
http://www.rit.edu/~nrcgsh
22196 Caminito Tasquillo