EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ross Eadie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:21:47 -0500
Hi Professor,

You are not alone, but then again I am not a professer.  Why use power
point at all?  I know that in every situation the following options cannot
be used, but here goes an explanation of another method of delivering
lectures and on line information.

I recently delivered a seminar on producing accessible Web pages.  My
presentation used a screen projection of an HTML file on my computer at the
head of the lab.  A list of points to cover were displayed while I
lectured.  When I needed to go forward and discuss one of the points, I
clicked on it because the points were links.  This overview became a
dynamic means for delivering the whole lecture with examples and
information appearing quite easily when needed.  No squares being placed
into round wholes here.

At 08:56 AM 6/8/02 , you wrote:
>PowerPoint canworkwith a screen reader especially if the slides focus on
>text materials.  It makes the material a bit more of a bother to navigate
>and read on the web than content ought to be, but it can be readily
accessible.

>As a distance learning practitioner for 20 years, I deplore the widespread
>use of PowerPoint in distance learning.  It is one of the more thoughtless
>and lazy ways to provide materials and largely undermines the unique
>strengths of distance learning and totally misses the point of what
>PowerPoint is for as well.
>
>Teachers who just take material and throw it on the web and think that is
>distance learning are squeezing a square peg into a round hole.
>
>PowerPoint is intended to be the backdrop to a presentation and not the
>presentation.  It is like writing the outline for a book and publishing it
>and not bothering to write the book.
>
>However, I am sure I am a lone, cranky voice hollering down an empty rain
>barrel and will be immediately ignored.
>Norman Coombs
>Proffesor Emeritus, Rochester Institute of Technology
>CEO, EASI
>Cell (949) 922-5992
>e-mail [log in to unmask]

---