EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 06:56:02 -0700
PowerPoint canworkwith a screen reader especially if the slides focus on
text materials.  It makes the material a bit more of a bother to navigate
and read on the web than content ought to be, but it can be readily accessible.

As a distance learning practitioner for 20 years, I deplore the widespread
use of PowerPoint in distance learning.  It is one of the more thoughtless
and lazy ways to provide materials and largely undermines the unique
strengths of distance learning and totally misses the point of what
PowerPoint is for as well.

Teachers who just take material and throw it on the web and think that is
distance learning are squeezing a square peg into a round hole.

PowerPoint is intended to be the backdrop to a presentation and not the
presentation.  It is like writing the outline for a book and publishing it
and not bothering to write the book.

However, I am sure I am a lone, cranky voice hollering down an empty rain
barrel and will be immediately ignored.
Norman Coombs
Proffesor Emeritus, Rochester Institute of Technology
CEO, EASI
Cell (949) 922-5992
e-mail [log in to unmask]