From:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 06:03:39 -0500

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995
 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> On the radio last night we heard an ad for a protein-vitamin supplement/drink.
> The ad was directed at HIV  positive AIDS individuals and as such was pushing
> its immune system boosting properties.  Then curiously enough it went on to
> claim that the product was "gluten free" and explained (this is a very rough
> quote:) "to alleviate the diarrhea usually associated with gluten".
>
> Does anyone know of a reference dealing with  increased gluten sensitivity in
> HIV patients or was this simply a case of unrelated ad copy getting jumbled in
> the same commercial?

I have wondered about this myself.  I swear my trigger for this disease
was a bout of mononucleosis.  I am asymptomatic, but I had a positive
biopsy for diagnosis.  A lot of the symptoms for chronic fatigue syndrome
overlap with symptoms for celiac disease:  muscle fatigue, bowel
problems, food sensitivities, psychological problems.

I knew that people in the final stages of AIDS have diarrhea. I am
concerned that CD can have a number of viral triggers among the
genetically pre-disposed.

We definitely need to expand the scope of research.

Becky Markle
Erie PA