ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2017 14:44:09 -0700
Here is something to think about for this new year.  In recent times, as in a few months ago and a few years ago, I heard the Lord in my thoughts, that is, the Holy Spirit, telling me to pray specifically for two different things.  They were separated by a couple of years so it wasn’t the same request each time.  These were prayers of petition, that is, prayers I was called upon  by the Lord to pray and in both cases, pray for a specific positive outcome.  For those who do not believe the Holy Spirit has any such intercessory ministry he administrates in the Body of Christ today, you might as well stop reading now, because I don’t want to offend anyone.  In comparison, you all have read the dozens and dozens of prayers I have prayed when looking for something I lost.  If you cannot believe those prayers of petition, you won’t believe these other two petition to which I am now referring.  For the moment, I am not going to tell you what those petitionary prayers were specific but I probably will later.  For now, I want to focus on the fact, believe it or not, that God spoke to me in my thoughts and told me, at two different times, to pray for a specific outcome; both of which would have been God’s will to do in both cases.  The problem is, neither prayer was answered.  In the case of one, the Lord spoke to me 3 weeks in advance of the event the was later to occur and in the second prayer, it was a couple of months, praying every day, and both times, my will-of-God prayers were not answered.  Would God ask you to pray for something He knew He would not answer?  If so, why?  Was it my fault for listening to voices in my head?  Could it mean that God cannot answer every prayer?  Warning; thin ice.  Oh, sure, the old faithful axiom; God always answers prayer; sometimes he just says, no.  Cute, but weak theology to back it up.  Anyhow, let’s start here and comment as you wish.  There are no trick answers but I’ve been thinking about this experience for sometime and thought you’d like to share your own thoughts and concerns about unanswered prayer.