From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2015 13:30:56 -0700
Michael: the radio likely has a 600ohm plus microphone impedance...the
150ohm pg mike is designed for different applications that require very low
impedance...the result of using this would be very low audio, no where near
enough to drive the radio properly.
The SM58 is a 600ohm mike and has really great audio.  I use it on my stuff
and it has just the right amount of punch in the mids to drive the radio
nicely, but is round and smooth at the same time.
You might also take a gander at Long and McQuade at the behringer, as well
as the Sennheiser mikes.
The great thing about using a studio mike for radio is that you can go a bit
cheaper because you don't need the low end or high end definition often
lacking in cheaper mikes.
The SM57 is also a fantastic option, in fact, I like it a bit better than
the sm58 for speech applications.
It has a smoother punchier sound than even the sm58, which was designed for
singing.
The sm57 is commonly used in high end recorded or broadcast speech
applications...like the White House press room for instance.
Just put a foam pop filter over the 57 as it can get a bit poppy...but I
even like the feel/look of the 57 more than the bulbis fat head of the sm58.
The sm57 is also more directional than the 58, so you will get less ambient
noise on your transmitions and the audio is more focused because of the
directional nature of the mikes pickup pattern.
The sm58 was designed so that a singer could be off axes a bit and still be
picked up, so the kartioid pattern is much wider.
Either way, the 58 or 57 are really good options for radio communications
audio.
Funny, since both mikes are now almost 60 years old, yet are still commonly
used in live and studio settings.  Many of your favorite songs used sm57's
on guitar bass and drums, and sm58's on the vocal track.

Regards
Colin