From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:31:46 -0800
Usually when those transisters fail, they short and the o v p kicks in.
He needs to check voltage at the supply terminals and at the radio to
see what is really going on.  I often replace those pass transisters
with darlingtons for two reasons.  They don't take near as much drive
current, less of a train on the driver transister.  This driver is often
mounted on the board or on the bottom of the supply.  Other advantage of
using darlingtons, such as ecg 247 or ecg 249, if I remember right, is
they almost never short when they go bad.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148