From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:14:26 -0600
	The ICR75 receiver I have has bitten the dust for now due
to the over-voltage supplied to at least one of it's regulators
by the AC adaptor which came with it.

	My mission in life right now is to determine the part
number of the defunct regulator, order a new one, and also to
modify the AC power adaptor's output to deliver 12 to 13.8 volts
to the receiver so that the new regulator won't suffer the same
fate as the present one.

	After only a little internet searching, it seems that
this is a well-known problem. Later R75's were sold with a
switching power supply whose output is 15 volts but mine shows
around 21 volts when un-loaded and that first regulator runs
really hot.

	What I will probably do is cut the DC power cord from the
adaptor brick to the receiver and build a regulator module to
drop the voltage through a LM338 with a very good heat sink on
it. The LM338 is a TO-3 device that connects very much like the
LM317 regulators. You can adjust the output from 1.5 volts up to
about 2 volts less than the input voltage and still have
regulation.

	Switching supplies as we know are just high-power
transmitters itching to produce RF signals. Has anybody noticed
that the rise of switching power supplies coincided with the fall
of the Soviet Union? They were making jamming transmitters to
trash the Voice of America and BBC. When the end came, they had
to do something with all that technology so they started selling
switching power supplies.

	The little voices in my head now say that I have run out
of valid information so I better sign off.

73
Martin WB5AGZ