From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:01:43 -0600
The below information regarding Remotehams might help others here on our
list besides Matt; so, I am posting it to the list.

Matt, I don't have any idea what you are referring to when you say that you
are "unable to get into any of the stations on Remotehams..."

So, to try to help you, right now, as I am posting back to you, I am going
to open the RCForb remotehams client to see if I can figure out what you are
referring to...

OK, I just opened the RCForb remotehams client from the shortcut I have on
my desktop. Now, I am going into the files menu by hitting the keyboard
command alt-f. The first thing I see is "Recent Connections;" I could hit
enter on that recent connections selection, and that would take me to a list
of remotehams stations I have recently accessed. However, since you have
asked me about the "Nickname" selection, I am ignoring the recent
connections option and arrowing down once to "new connections," and hitting
my enter key on that selection. When I do that, I see a long graphic
reference number; I have absolutely no idea what that graphic is or what it
would do if I clicked on it. So, next I am hitting my tab key. The first
time puts me on "host IP;" the next tab puts me on "radio server port," the
next tab puts me on "Unicode" which is unchecked, and I just leave it that
way and tab again which puts me on "VOIP server port;" so, I continue
tabbing one more time which places me on "Nickname." Since the last station
I accessed was W8RJ up in Michigan, I can either hit my enter key at this
point, and get into W8RJ's station or I can hit my tab key two more times to
get down to the "Connect" button and hit enter on it, and that, too, will
access W8RJ's station. However, If I do not want to access W8RJ's station, I
can delete W8RJ out of the Nickname edit box and type in another station
that is operational on remotehams and hit my enter key to access it or
again, I can also tab two times to the connect button and hit my enter key
on it; either way, it will go to the station that is in the Nickname edit
box. When the station comes up, I hear the station's receiver coming through
my speakers, and I also see an "OK" that is on my computer screen and that
my screen reader's curser is on; so, I hit my return or enter key on the OK,
and I am ready to tune the station's receiver. However, I always ask to if
it is OK if I change the frequency just in case someone else is using the
station. If I don't get any response, and I never have so far, I go ahead
and tune up or down the band by using the ctrl-right/left arrow keys, or I
type in a desired frequency by using the command ctrl-f, which allows you to
type in a specific frequency. When typing in a specific frequency, you must
be sure you are typing it in the way that the software is configured for,
e.g. either KHZ or MHZ; otherwise, it won't accept it. Also, if you want to
know what frequency the receiver is on, you hit the alt-shift-f key
combination, and you will hear the text-to-speech tell you the frequency. Of
course, you have to have text-to-speech turned on, which you do by hitting
alt-o to get into the options menu and then, arrowing down to the
text-to-speech option and clicking on it; you want to be sure the "enabled"
selection is checked; if not, you need to check it. If it is checked, you
should be able to hear the speech emanating from the remotehams software.
The volume of the speech varies some from station to station, and so far, I
have not found any way of controlling the speech volume.

I have given you a great deal of information here. Hopefully, this will be
what you need to get it to work for you. If not, let me know.

Ron, K8HSY