From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2015 07:46:38 -0400
Scott, no speech for the 897 or 817 rigs, but using the millenium
qsyer, preset memories, etc, it can be made a useable rig.  I have,
use, and very much like the Yaesu FT-817 original, using a qsyer,
predetermined memories, preset AGC, Wide/Narrow filter, and similar
settings.  These rigs are not_ for everybody, but their portability,
wide band coverage, etc, make them quite desirable, and depending on
your use goals, and the price for which they can be obtained, they may
really deserve consideration.  I have a blind friend who has, uses,
and likes very much, his ft-897, he also has, likes, and uses, an
ft-817.
HTH, Danny Dyer, Wb4idu, Toccoa, GA, USA.