From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2015 20:26:59 -0400
DOn’t recall seeing this anywhere in the eyes free document.

Just got a uv5r last week.
went to program, discovered that if a signal is being received on the frequency you are programming, it will not save into a memory.

i.e. programming one of the nws channels, say 162.55.

get into frequency mode, enter 162550.
Now, if you are listening to the nws broadcast, hit menu, 27, menu, empty memory, menu
you will get a high error beep.
if, however, you are not receiving a signal, the frequency  will program.

I’ll try to get the firmware version as soon as I get working eyes.

Gary Lee