From:
Brett Winchester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:58:46 -0600
Well last night I lost a 40 foot tower that had been up for just under 19 years.  Fortunately I was not using the tower at this time, and the only loss is the G5RV that had been on one leg of a cross-arm.  I was just thinking about re-connection that antenna with some new coax but alas.    I lost one end insulator also as I think that one leg of the antenna simply broke at the insulator or it came unwound leaving its rope in the middle of the creek behind the house.

Looking at the guylines, they had severe UV  damage however so this is probably not such a bad thing in the long run.  I had no damage to the roof of the house but as I had to do this roof inspection at 10:30 at night by Braille, could have missed some things.  I will however need to re-roof anyway soon as some of the places on the roof show signs of needing re-sealed.    I do not like walking around on a housetop in the rain using a cane for mobility anyway.  I am getting too old for this (grin).

This tower a telescoping rohn is however a complete loss as two sections are bent beyond  correction.

In summation I am sending this note to suggest that you re-evaluate your existing antenna installation annually to insure  that they are not in need of maintenance.  I know we are all not guilty of this lack of attention, but at least this time my warning was not damaging to other lives or property.  "Thanks Mrs Murphy!"  Now to begin re-design.

Thank You!

BRETT K WINCHESTER  PM  KD7JN
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.icbvi.state.id.us/brochure/RADIO.HTM

READING SERVICES MANAGER
ICBVI - IDAHO COMMISSION f/t BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED
P O BOX 83720
BOISE IDAHO  83720-0012
208-334-3220 ext 104 or 103 +7 = voice mail non-business hours
fax  208-334-2963