From:
Ed Malmgren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2015 09:30:49 -0600
I think Frank is right, when lightening can jump from a cloud to earth there
is not much you can do except have things disconnected.   Also it is
possible that the glass jar or some type of insolater may keep sparks,
static electricity from the end of a feed line  stop a fire if in dry leafs
or such.  I know at times when I unhook my ladder line and there is a storm
in the area I get the electric fence treatment.  ED K7UC
From: Frank Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:27 pm
Subject: Lightning strikes, was: RE: Grounding Question

> Are you kidding me? Lets think a minute about what lightning  is. It is a=
n =3D
> electrical arc, in this case between a cloud and the ground. The arc is n=
eg=3D
> atively charged particles looking for a positive ground, as opposites att=
ra=3D
> ct. Some lightning strikes contain as much as one billion volts (remember=
t=3D
> he first Back to the Future movie?). If that awesome charge is strong eno=
ug=3D
> h to arc several miles through open air can you imagine how easily it can=
a=3D
> rc through a rubber or glass insulator. It is amazing how many people bel=
ie=3D
> ve that the rubber tires of a car keep it from being hit by lightning. Th=
er=3D
> e are two basic reasons why cars don't get hit by lightning with the latt=
er=3D
>  being more important, they are:
> a. Cars are relatively low to the ground and are rarely in a position to =
be=3D
>  the path of least resistance.
> b. Almost all cars have negative ground electrical systems. Remember from=
a=3D
> bove that lightning is a negatively charge partical arc looking for a *po=
si=3D
> tive* ground to strike. A negatively charged arc is not attracted to a ne=
ga=3D
> tive ground. Rubber tires have nothing to do with it. With all that volta=
ge=3D
>  if lightning did hit the car body it would arc the gap from the body to =
gr=3D
> ound below and probably turn the tires into a molten blob of fake rubber =
in=3D
>  the process. It is the negative ground electrical system that makes the =
ch=3D
> arges repell not attract. Now with that said there are a few (mostly Brit=
is=3D
> h) cars from the period following WWII that actually have positive ground=
e=3D
> lectrical systems. Electrically speaking they could attract a negatively =
ch=3D
> arged arc but I doubt it has happened much due to the reason given in a a=
bo=3D
> ve.
> So in short if you merely disconnect the coax from the connector on your =
ho=3D
> use and leave it a few inches or even a few feet away from your house you=
c=3D
> an seal it in glass, wrap it in rubber or shove it in a ham sandwhich for=
t=3D
> hat matter and lightning can still arc from the cable to your humble abod=
e.=3D
> [...]

---