From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2015 23:12:27 -0600
A couple of nights ago, I once again was monitoring 71 95 and that humongous
group to lays claim to that frequency as if it were bought and paid for.  I
told you about the two brothers talking, well, this was after that; the next
night I believe.  Anyhow, one of the regulars on 71 95 said to another guy
who commonly is there, "I heard you up 1 KHz a little earlier."  The guy
replied and said he had heard the guy calling CQ so he answered him on 71 96
and was going to move down 1 KHz to their main channel but there were loud
signals above and below that would have caused problems hearing the weaker
signal.  So, in short, he talked to the guy, a non channel member of the
group, for 30 minutes.  The original guy commented that he should not be
doing that any more because 71 95 was there frequency.  The guy kept
apologizing but the original station didn't seem to think he was worthy of
being forgiven for his mistake.  I know some of you are thinking that they
are just joking.  So did I at first but after hearing them pound other guys
into the ground for being too close to their frequency, I realized they
weren't joking.  A couple of the guys, and this is my most recent report,
made it very clear, 71 95 was their channel and that anybody with 3 KHz up,
or down, from that was fair game.  I've listened to these guys during
contest weekends, and you can toss Field Day in with this, too, and these
guys go up and down 3 KHz and clamor for the contesters to get the hell off
their frequency.  So 71 95 isn't open nor is it open on 40 meters from 7192
up to 71 98.  This is quite important because these guys have a cow if you
come any where near their channel.  In the CB days, each channel often had
what they called a channel commander.  That's what I want to be when I grow
up is a channel commander.  The 2 meter repeater club I was a member of for
many years called me the repeater club's online Chaplin.  I got to take up
offerings and everything.  Never got anything sent to me but at least it was
something like a net control, haha.

Phil.
K0NX

Phil.