From:
Dave Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2015 23:51:20 +1200
Hi all!

I'm wanting to use Echolink more effectively as a single user. I can tell
most prefer to use it in sysop mode, and I realise that has some benefits,
especially if you want to hook a radio up to it. At some point, I may, but
for now, it's in individual mode that I want to gain better behaviour than
I'm seeing. Keyboard acommands are helpful, granted, but those only simplify
some navigational functions.

Now if you've followed me this far, here's what I want ideas on achiving. I
know what my hot key is for transmit. But what feedback do I get when I
press it? None at all. I don't believe that is the sighted experience.
Surely they'd never allow that under normal circumstances.

To be fair, I eventually know that the transmition went out, because when I
release the PTT key, I hear a satisfying beep, but it seems a bit unfair if
not unreasonable that the only feedback I get is after the fact. Is there
some kind of transmit light showing sonmewhere that I can find, and then
draw a frame around it in order to give me more of the feedback that would
be useful?

I've hunted around pretty extensively, and can't find anything, although
maybe that is happening because I don't exactly know what I should be
looking for. If this was a good old valve job, I'd hear relays to at least
fool me into thinking things were working. But the silent experience just
ain't inducing much confidence. So where am I going wrong?

Thanks for listening. I just think there should be more to it than I'm aware
of so far, so if someone will give me a hint or tell me I'm just asking for
too much from it, maybe that's just what I have to live with.

73,
Dave

David Allen, Director
Blind-Sight Limited
For computer training and support world-wide, equipment or braille
production please contact me through any of the following ways:
Email: [log in to unmask]
Telephone: 64-3-455-7694 (Home)
64-27-224-5489 (Mobile)
PO Box 9046