From:
Jim Gammon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2015 10:26:53 -0700
Tom, I bought a Sony HD AM FM radio when they first came out.  Here, near
San Francisco, there are afew FM HD stations and just a couple AM ones.  I
haven't really checked it out that much recently.  When I first got the
radio I tried to listen to KNX, a strong LA HD AM station at night using one
of those tunable loop antennas and even a kind of long wire.  Seems like you
really have to have a strong signal to get the HD signal to work.  I
remember one of our cars had AM stereo which was not much good, but on a
trip to BC one year, I could pick up some AM stereo from long distances and,
depending on the signal, the stereo would come and go.  I think HD takes a
much more robust signal than stereo did.  Also think that HD hasn't really
caught on that much or as much as the purveyers of it have hoped it would.
Jim WA6EKS